Do you ever look at your life and wish it was slightly different to the way it is now but, you don’t know where to start and what to do? If so, then read on….
There are times in our lives when we ‘take stock’ of where we are and what we’re doing and wonder if things were slightly different, what would that look like to us and what positive benefits would it bring to us and those around us. Some of us wish we worked less hours so we could spend more time with our children or dedicate more time to our passion and purpose and some of us wish we had the opportunity to secure full time work. Others wish they could go travelling around the world and others wish they could lose weight, get fit, find a partner or make changes and the list goes on. Yet, somehow we can’t seem to find the courage to make these changes so we just keep doing what we’ve always done because we’re not quite sure where to start.
If that sounds like you then you’re not the only one. Many of us wish our lives were slightly different and some of us make plans to make these dreams and goals come true but, for others these things simply remain a dream – forever! It’s great when you find your ‘life’s work’ or when you live a life you love and that looks slightly different for all of us as we all want slightly different things and that’s fine, after all that’s what we’re all striving for. But, in order to make this happen you have to take that leap of faith and start stepping outside of your comfort zone.
So what exactly is a comfort zone and why should we step outside of it?! Well, a comfort zone is the place where you naturally reside, it’s the place where you feel comfortable and content and as a result of this it can cause you to become complacent over time. It’s that place that makes you feel relaxed, settled and secure and stepping outside of that zone can be really scary and in some cases can feel very daunting and that’s why many of us don’t take that first step. For some it can cause anxiety to even think about stepping outside of it and for others it can feel much more natural and some even thrive on the challenge of looking for the next step.
The people who decided to step outside of their comfort zone are the people who see real value in doing things differently because they want to experience new things, encounter new experiences and/or challenge themselves to do and achieve things they’ve never done before. This could be a change of career, a change of job, having a baby (or another baby), going on that date, travelling or simply just saying ‘no’ to the things they don’t want to do anymore. Whatever it is, it’s an important part of life and it’s vital that you recognise this as life is a journey and in order for you to keep evolving you need to keep stepping outside of this comfort zone and challenge yourself. You see the difference between those who make their dreams come true and those that don’t, are those that are prepared to challenge themselves and feel slightly uncomfortable in the process.
So, for those of you who see others living the dream but, can’t make the leap yourself I’m here to encourage you to follow your dreams and start making them a reality! The people that do live lives they love are the people who made the change, they changed their mind-set and thought, ‘I’m gonna do this!’ and then did it! They believed in themselves and believed that one day their dreams would become their reality and they started making small steps towards creating a new future for them and they started making conscious decisions daily to make this happen. We all know people who’ve changed their career or changed their path as they’ve grown older and we look at them and often admire them but, can feel like we couldn’t do that but, I’m here to tell you, ‘You Can!.’
We all know those people don’t we?! Those are the ones who got out of that relationship or marriage that wasn’t serving them anymore or decided that they just wanted some time out so changed their work/life balance to enable them to decide what it was they really wanted to do with their life. This could also include those people who decided to take the plunge and set up their own business and become an entrepreneur, these are the brave ones! These are the people that have stepped outside their comfort zone and decided to venture into the world of the ‘unknown!’ To do this it meant they had to step outside of their comfort zone and in order to do this they needed to experience the fear, angst and anxiety (in some cases) that goes along with making the change but, they felt it and they did it anyway!
I call them the ‘brave ones’ because they are the ones who have decided to make a change and they’ve redesigned their lives to incorporate all of the things they want to for their future. After all when we look back at the life we live we want to make sure we’re spending it doing the things we love, with the people we love and have created as many memorable experiences as possible! So take that leap of faith and start stepping outside of your comfort zone.
Here are my 7 top tips for stepping outside of your comfort zone;
1. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable – It’s important to know that when you challenge yourself you’re not going to feel wholeheartedly comfortable but, that’s the idea. In order to overcome something or try something new you need to make that step.
2. Go with the flow! – Whatever happens just go with it and think, ‘What’s the worst thing that can happen?!’ No one is judging you, everyone is living their own lives and doing their own thing so don’t worry about what others think.
3. Don’t overthink things – Stop that negative mind chatter and stop thinking what might happen and just take action!
4. Just do it! – if you want to live a life of no regrets then identify what it is you want, take control, design your life and invest in you! Whether that’s a time thing or a financial investment or just some support you might need, whatever it is start designing the life you want to live.
5. Don’t take yourself too seriously – Make a fool of yourself and have fun and don’t be too worried about looking a fool, who wants to sit in the middle of the rollercoaster? Not me! You want to be at the front where you get to experience life fully and enjoy the ride, despite the scary encounters along the way.
6) Face your fears – You might feel anxious, nervous or feel scared but, think about what it is you want to do and think about it logically. Remember your thoughts are just that, ‘thoughts’ they don’t exist! You create your thoughts and they’re not based on evidence (most of the time) so face those fears and do it anyway.
7) Try new things – Life is a journey and there are so many things out there that you could do or get involved in so try new things and enjoy the process, if you don’t like it then you never have to do it again but, at least you’ve tried it and given it a go!
Join the Aspirational Living community and start ‘living life the conscious way!’